NEW CLOSINGS AND WEATHER UPDATES ADDED TO THIS ARTICLE
As the entire State of Georgia remains in a State of Emergency as we are waiting to see exactly how Irma will impact Floyd County, we have a list of closings and requests from our local police. We will try to update closings as we receive them and ask all of our All On Georgia-Floyd readers to message us or send emails of closing we might not have listed. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please remain safe, alert, and prepared. The weather is constantly changing. Floyd County Police Department issued this statement via their Facebook page today: The U.S. National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a statement to north Georgia to encourage preparedness. As the outer bands of Irma approach we may see tornadoes, flooding and power outages.
Residents should be prepared in some cases to be without power for several days and stock up on supplies accordingly. Locate your cell phone chargers and emergency lighting.
We encourage drivers to stay off the road as much as possible to prevent unnecessary accidents that allow rescuers to attend to other issues.
- All Floyd County and Rome City Schools are cancelled for both Monday September 11th and Tuesday September 12th.
- St. Mary’s, Unity, Darlington Schools are cancelled for Monday September 11th and Tuesday September 12th.
- Classes at Berry College are cancelled for Monday September 11th as are classes at Shorter University, Georgia Highlands College, and Georgia Northwestern Technical College.
- All YMCA classes and childcare will be cancelled on Monday, September 11th. The Y will remain open as long as they have power.
- Armuchee-Glenwood Education Foundation meeting will be postponed until next Monday, 9/18/17. Everyone stay safe and we’ll see you next Monday at Armuchee Middle School at 6pm in the media center.
- The Floyd County Courthouse is closed Monday September 11th and jurors are excused.
- Miniyar Pediatrics will be closing early Monday.
- Harbin Clinic will close all locations at 2pm. The decision to open on Tuesday September 12th will be made at 5am.
- Bank of Ozarks will close at 11:30am on Monday September 11th.
- Coosa Valley Credit Union will close all locations at 12:30pm.
- Armuchee Pharmacy will be watching the weather closely and could close early.
- Rome Floyd Chamber of Commerce will close at 12pm on Monday September 11th until Tuesday September 12th at noon.
- Bartow County Courthouse will close at 2pm.
- Polk County Administration Offices and Non-Essential Services as well as Cedartown City Hall are closed Monday September 11th.
- UPDATED: In a Press Release from Floyd County and City of Rome:
Administrative & Non-Essential Offices Closed Monday
All Floyd County and City of Rome Administrative, Judicial, and non-essential offices will be closed on Monday, September 11, 2017, due to the impending inclement weather caused by Hurricane Irma. A decision on Tuesday’s work schedule will be made on Monday. Employees should contact their supervisors for more specific direction. Floyd County payroll administrators must contact Human Resources for guidance on completing the current payroll. The Rome City Commission meeting scheduled for Monday, September 11, 2017, has also been cancelled.
Power outages are occurring in South Georgia and moving north as the rain and wind increases. Power outages are expected in our area as we are anticipating up to 3.25 inches of rain accumulated from the rain this morning through Tuesday. Wind speeds are predicted to be 32-40 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Now is the time to make sure that all of your electronics charged as well as candles, batteries, flashlights.
Again, if you have any closings that should be added or are not reported correctly, notify us at email@example.com. Everyone stay safe, look out for each other, and use common sense over the next couple of days.